搜索
教育王國 討論區 備戰大學 Sharing of IB vs NSS
樓主: ANChan59
go

Sharing of IB vs NSS   [複製鏈接]

161#
發表於 11-9-9 15:41 |顯示全部帖子

Language requirements

My son sent emails to different universities both local and overseas to ask languages requirements.

Does local university recognise IB Chinese Syllabus B equivalent to pass in Chinese.....? No reply yet.........

[ 本帖最後由 ANChan59 於 11-9-15 19:08 編輯 ]
God grant me the serenity
to accept the things I cannot change;
courage to change the things I can;
and wisdom to know the difference.

162#
發表於 11-9-9 18:10 |顯示全部帖子
原帖由 slamai 於 11-9-9 18:03 發表
My understanding is that the local Us' admission requirements in Chinese language for non-JUPAS (IB) applicants are not the same and Chinese B should be acceptable in most cases.

We read those requirements, we have the same understanding as you said. But we talked to the further study adviser, she recommended us to double check with university, particularly for the target programs. She said one of her students in another IS was rejected by a hot ptogram becasue he is local boy and only took syllabus B.

Interesting, no one (I mean Big 3) can confirm that......... may be too subjective. Admission office Ok about that, but faculties may have other views in sorting and interview.

[ 本帖最後由 ANChan59 於 11-9-9 18:12 編輯 ]

163#
發表於 11-9-14 19:51 |顯示全部帖子
slamai

Thanks for your reminder. He will double confirm with admission officers of targeted programs.

Yes, non-JUPAS has more varieties of exam board and academic standards; interviews and higher predicted grade to get better students, e.g. GCE AL...

last week, I heard an EAS student through iGCSE was out of CUHK medicine at yr 1 and back to UK for AL again.

ANChan59

164#
發表於 11-9-15 12:00 |顯示全部帖子

回覆 346# Annie123 的文章

Annie 123

Yes, the professor asked the "XIS" student why only took B not A2 SL at least ..... just cheating (other parents said it's tactics).

I know some high flying IS(s) using IBDP Chinese B and Maths Studies, tactically to get better grades. That's why I also check their university destinations as another yardsticks.

ANChan59

165#
發表於 11-9-15 12:24 |顯示全部帖子
原帖由 Annie123 於 11-9-15 12:10 發表
There is no such thing as "tactics" for Group 2 language. All depends on your experience with the language.

However, deciding which Math to take is tactics, I agree.

I just reminded parents to look at the IS and other DSS schools running IBDP in details. Like DBS, some boys studied French for years, now they changed to Chinese B in IBDP - Bilingual Diploma is understandable.

166#
發表於 11-9-15 14:58 |顯示全部帖子

回覆 352# ycl 的文章

ycl

Thanks for your reminder, I will double check with my son on this case.

ANChan59

167#
發表於 11-9-15 19:06 |顯示全部帖子

回覆 352# ycl 的文章

*****Deleted *****

[ 本帖最後由 ANChan59 於 11-9-17 15:23 編輯 ]

168#
發表於 11-9-16 18:30 |顯示全部帖子

回復 352# ycl 的帖子

ycl

My son received the official reply from LSE this afternoon and the reply not the same as you said, interesting....

To whom it may concern,

I would like to know that if I am an IB student, do I need to take the IELTS Exams while I am taking English as Mother Language in IB exams.

Best Regards,

XXX

Dear XXX

Thank you for your email.

If you are studying the IB qualification then you will not be required to take an additional English Language qualification.

I hope this answers your questions however if you require any further assistance please do not hesitate in contacting me.

Kind Regards

Mary-Ellen Paul
Admissions Administrator
Undergraduate Admissions
London School of Economics and Political Science

Unquote

Similar replies to his classmates.

ANChan59

169#
發表於 11-9-18 17:49 |顯示全部帖子
I know a boy who is one year senior than my son in IBDP, his father told me that his son can take 3 years program instead of 4 years program in HK, but not for HKDSE in 2012.

If there is a choice, I prefer my son can take a 3 years program in HK and no need to take another year of liberal studies... to make up a 4 years program

170#
發表於 11-9-19 14:49 |顯示全部帖子
原帖由 slamai 於 11-9-19 13:44 發表
The choice should only be available for the IB DP cohort in 2012 but not after as local Us will no longer offer 3-year undergraduate courses by then.

Yes, you are right. I just remind other parents may benefit from this option.

171#
發表於 11-9-21 11:16 |顯示全部帖子
原帖由 kym 於 11-9-21 10:50 發表
Heard that from the head of the IB school, we may have a boy getting in Harvard University next year. And this is very encouraging.

That's encouraging. You mean conditional or firm offer from Harvard. My son told me that many seniors got 2100+ in SAT and eligible to apply Ivy League......

I didn't catch up with my son yet, I will ask him tonight.

172#
發表於 11-9-21 19:00 |顯示全部帖子

回覆 367# kym 的文章

Preparation time say 12-18 months, application time 18 months, another two years for IBDP and will see the first batch results. From different angels, 5 years is reasonable. but the results of first batch IBDP may be quite different.

In DBS & SPCC, student pool may be a bit better than other schools, if we consider 20+ EAS (of course not all opt for IBDP), some may join LPC, some may study G11-12 in overseas...

Originally, I guess DBS & SPCC may take 3-5 years to overtake LPC. My son bets with me max. 2 years.....

My son told me that he heard about that but unsure its conditional offers or unconditional offers.

173#
發表於 11-9-21 23:36 |顯示全部帖子
原帖由 Shoeshine 於 11-9-21 22:40 發表
In 2010, LPC had 14 students went to Ivy League and 4 went to Oxbridge. (Not to mention those who went to Stanford and Duke etc. in US and LSE and UC etc. in UK).  

I read an article about % of students admitted into Ivy League from different high schools, in the top 52, only two outside USA, one is LPC (~7%). So I always benchmark local IBDP schools with LPC, even I know it's not apple to apple comparison.

I further check your data and come up something very interesting. I guess your data come from this table:
http://www.lpcuwc.edu.hk/uploads/2008/11/University-Offer-2010.pdf

Brown        12        Cambridge     4
Columbia     -          Oxford          2
Cornell        4          LSE               8
Dartmouth  6          ICL               11
Harvard      -                               25
Princeton    4
U. Penn      3
Yale            -

Refer to the total of page 4, the total USA "Offers" is 259, and total number of students is 128 and 42% from HK and 58% from international.

For UK, Oxford & Cambridge 2 & 4 offers. Total UK offers 178. For HK, 49 offers only.

Findings:
1. Average offers per students ~4. (538 offers vs 128 students)
2. The students finally got into Ivy League and Cambridge are most from HK or overseas students not shown in the table. If most are from overseas, how to compare with Local DSS IBDP school?

Just for discussion only........  DBS recommends their students to pick max. 8 programs: 2-4-2, so maximum offers will be 8, so average 4 offers is not so difficult.

174#
發表於 11-9-22 01:42 |顯示全部帖子

回覆 371# Shoeshine 的文章

Thanks for your detail explanation.

Good night...

175#
發表於 11-9-22 13:59 |顯示全部帖子
原帖由 kym 於 11-9-22 08:11 發表
Can you explain what is 2-4-2? I almost thought is some kind of sports  formation!

Ha ha ha...... not a soccer formation, personally, I like to field 4-4-2 in FM........

Put it this way, say a student is comfortable to have predicted scores 38-42 by the end of Yr 1. He can take 2 programs at the high side or even slightly better than his predicted scores. The other 4 programs are within the range, the last 2 may be at the low side or even lower than 38.

Predicted score
                                   for interview

HKU    Medicine            40+ (excl bonus point)
CUHK  Medicine            40+ (excl bonus point)

Cambridge Medicine      42+
LSE Economics/Politics  38+
HKU BBA (Law)            38+
CUHK QF                      38+

HKUST BBA                   36+
HKU Medical Engg          35+

The quoted predicted scores are just for illustration purpose. After HKDSE, the predicted scores in non-JUPAS may be scaled down a bit.

176#
發表於 11-9-22 14:10 |顯示全部帖子
原帖由 mattsmum 於 11-9-22 09:25 發表
any figures on local course in these two LS who offer IBDP?

What figures you mean? HKCEE, HKALE.......?

The first batch graduates of IBDP from DBS will be in 2012, for SPCC will be in 2013.

I prefer to quote this two DSS schools becasue they are local school with both NSS and IBDP streams. Shoeshine prefers to quote IS which he/she more familar with. Even not apple to apple comparisons, but provide better pictures for all parents are great.

I don't want unnecessary arguement between LS vs IS; CMI vs EMI; NSS vs IBDP, JUPAS vd non-JUPAS ........ Different family has different consideration, here is a platform to collect more useful info, validate them as much as you can and draw your informed decision for your kids........

177#
發表於 11-9-22 20:44 |顯示全部帖子
原帖由 mattsmum 於 11-9-22 20:33 發表
Figures of university placement such as 88/100 , I would think university placement figure under A level be similar to IBDP in these two LS.

I see.

DBS - 20+/120 EAS; 80/120 JUPAS; 20-/120 Overseas or sub-degree.

I don't know the figures of SPCC, I can ask my friendsabout this.

178#
發表於 11-9-22 20:54 |顯示全部帖子
原帖由 mattsmum 於 11-9-22 20:45 發表
That is great.

I guess SPCC may be better than DBS.....

179#
發表於 11-9-24 16:01 |顯示全部帖子
My son and I sent emails to LSE separately about the language requirements. Amazingly the replies from two admission officer/administrator are totally different.

Then I sent another email to LSE for further clarification, I received the email last night and it's useful for parents and kids who will apply LSE with IBDP result.

Dear ZZZ

Thanks for your reply, but your answer amazed me.

My son sent another post to the admission office last week separately. The reply was not the same as your reply, another admission officer clearly explained to him that he took IBDP English Language as mother language, he is no need to take other English proficiency test.

Pls review my original email and double confirm your reply is valid according to my detail description. My son's seniors received two different replies last year, I don't want him to face the same chaos next year.

Is it possible to list the IBDP language requirement clearly to prevent further confusion in your prospectus? Of course he will raise the same question to LSE's admission officer who will visit his school a week later.

Regards,

ANChan59

Dear ANChan59

Thank you for your email and for bringing this matter to my attention.

Applicants who are studying for the International Baccalaureate Diploma Programme and who offer English A1 or A2 at either Higher or Standard Level are exempt from the English language proficiency requirements.

Applicants who offer English B at Higher Level may be asked to achieve the maximum 7 points as part of their offer.

Applicants taking English B at Standard Level or English Ab-Initio will be required to supply scores from one of the English proficiency tests outlined in the previous email.

I have updated our database to reflect this information so it should be clear to future enquirers. I will also request that this information is made clear in future editions of the undergraduate prospectus. Please accept my apologies for any confusion caused in this matter, and my thanks again for bringing this matter to my attention.

Yours sincerely

DDD

Student Recruitment Office, LSE

I sent an email to LSE and appreciated their clarification and their follow-up actions in coming year.

[ 本帖最後由 ANChan59 於 11-9-24 16:35 編輯 ]

180#
發表於 11-9-28 09:47 |顯示全部帖子

LSE - Economics

My son attended the seminar about LSE last evening, he shared with us some updated info:

1. Language requirement - confirmed as above, the current prospectus not updated yet.

2. LSE's Economics is the highest competition program in UK.

3. IBDP students expected admission score 766 at HL, 7 must be Maths HL.

4. HKDSE students expected grade for Core Maths and M1 or M2 must be A* or above. No extended module, zero chance.

5. GCE AL, they only consider Further Maths at A. If your school provide Further maths and you don't take it, zero chance; no matter how good is your Maths grade.
‹ 上一主題|下一主題