教育王國 討論區 特殊教育 Hello, Dr.T speaking...
樓主: Dr.T
go

Hello, Dr.T speaking... [複製鏈接]

21#
發表於 05-6-6 12:03 |顯示全部帖子

Re: Hello, Dr.T speaking...

Dear Dr. T,
I have a silly question to ask you as I am very anxious right now.
My child has just passed the speech assessment.  He is now 5 years & 2 months old.  His comprehension ability is 1 year ahead and expression ability is age appropriate.  He had 9-month speech delay in Jan. 2004 and he has improved rapaidly since then.  Does this results imply that he may have normal IQ?  I am extremely anxious about his IQ.  I think that I will train him intensively during these few months and send him to you for IQ assessment.....   
我們怕孩子的人生路途滿佈荊棘,與其為孩子在路上舖一層地毯,不如在孩子的腳上穿上一雙鞋。

22#
發表於 05-6-6 13:13 |顯示全部帖子

Dear Dr. T,
Thanks a lot.
'圖像部分的可能表現就難以估計' --- does it imply his visual space understanding?  Does playing puzzle or blocks help him to improve his performance?  He can do 邏輯推理 in Mathematics lesson and complete the visual space exercise given by his O.T. quite well.  Which part is more difficult --- 語言方面 or 圖像部分?  擔心死我啦!!!  好似我自己考試咁.  :-|  :-|  :-|

[quote]
Dr.T 寫道:
語言方面(理解及表達均達標)似乎進展良好,應該起碼在智能測驗的語言部分能夠應付,但圖像部分的可能表現就難以估計

23#
發表於 05-6-6 13:17 |顯示全部帖子

Dear stellacl,
What can I do to help my child to perform better? My O.T. has given him so many visual space and puzzle building exercises to do.  He is making steady performance.  Please enlighten me.  Thanks.

24#
發表於 05-6-6 13:31 |顯示全部帖子

Dear Dr. T,
Thanks a lot.  

25#
發表於 05-6-6 13:34 |顯示全部帖子

Dear wewangwang,
The assessment was conducted by my private speech therapist as I urged her to test my child's speech ability to prepare for P.1 application.  She did not ask for extra fee and just charged me the hourly training fee.  

26#
發表於 05-6-6 13:48 |顯示全部帖子

Please check PM.

wewangwang 寫道:
mrsphcheung,,

Do you find him /her good? Please pm the tel no. to me as I want to  test my child's speech ability too?

27#
發表於 05-6-6 13:49 |顯示全部帖子

stellacl,
Thanks.

28#
發表於 05-6-15 12:05 |顯示全部帖子

[size=medium]YOUR POPULARITY HAS BEEN PROVED.

Dr.T 寫道:
眨眼就過咗30000 啱啱好慶祝開題三個月

29#
發表於 05-7-2 09:51 |顯示全部帖子

Dear Dr. T,
I plan to send my child for an IQ assessment in this coming August. Can the IQ assessment results gives some hints about dyslexia?  

My child can read simple sentences of Chinese story books.  However, when I single out the words, he may just recognize some of them.  It seems that he just memorize the whole sentence, not the individual words.  For the part of English, he can name the objects without any difficulties.  However, he has difficulties in recognizing those vocabularies; he has spelling problem.  He has to spend a long time to identify an English vocab. from a messy word puzzle list.  I start to teach him simple phonics to facilitate his memory.  

He can copy the words correctly so far.

My O.T. advises that dyslexia assessment must be done by an educational psychologist like you at the age of 6.5.  I just want to know whether IQ assessment can show some hints about his vocab. recognizing ability so as to take earlier remedies.  Thanks.

30#
發表於 05-7-3 16:22 |顯示全部帖子

Dear Dr T,
Thanks a lot.   

31#
發表於 05-8-10 21:54 |顯示全部帖子

Dear sjmama,
Do you ignore her?  Is she attention seeking?  My child could cry for one hour if there was something that he did not like.  He was long-winded.  I just left him alone.  He later quitted this bad behaviour.

Please check PM.

32#
發表於 05-8-11 15:16 |顯示全部帖子

Dear sjmama,
I am very sorry to hear about your daughter's situation.  Have you ever considered Applied Behaviour Analysis (ABA)?  I have read some articles about it.  The successful rate is not low in behaviour modification.  It may work on your child.  Some moms here are trying.  You may think about it.

May God bless you.  

33#
發表於 05-8-11 18:11 |顯示全部帖子

Dear sjmama,
You may practise ABA at home by yourself or your family member.  You can learn the technique first and try to work on your daughter.   There are some seminars teaching ABA e.g. Pang's and books from USA.  Heep Hong also has this kind of seminar, but it does not run regularly.  BTW, 努 力 試 (Louis Program) may also help you a little bit.  It may enlighten you how to teach your kids.

I think that the first thing to do is to ask all the people who are with your daughter to take the same attitude to her e.g. be firm, ignore her misbehaviour, ... etc.  Does she like something?  Positive reinforcement may work.

I am sorry for you.  You must feel very stressful all the time.  Don't give up.  There are many moms like you.   

34#
發表於 05-8-11 23:37 |顯示全部帖子

Dear Dr. T,
I have a headache problem to seek for your professional advice.  My son has taken a sensory integration test and finds that his situation is within the normal range which means that HIS ATTENTION DEFICIT PROBLEM IS NOT RELATED TO S.I.  The assessor guesses that it may be due to cognitive delay.  Frankly speaking, my child really has a certain degree of speech delay, but I don't think that he doesn't understand what his teacher says.  My child can pass all the academic tests of his school and can report to me what happens at school (with guidance).

My skin-deep knowledge tells me that cognitive development includes common sense (related to daily life exposure and observation), generalization & application of knowledge and logical thinking.  Can you tell me what items are included in cognitive development and what I should do to help my kid?  Does cognitive delay imply low IQ?  Do you think that cognitive delay is a sufficient reason for attention deficit?

Sorry for my ignorance.  As a mother, I am very anxious about this 'NEWS'.  Thanks for your help.  :cry:  

35#
發表於 05-8-12 06:25 |顯示全部帖子

Dear Dr T,
Thank you very much for your prompt reply.  You are 'night ghost'.

(1) Yes.  I am deeply concerned about my child's IQ and asked you many questions before.  As I decide to let my child repeat K3 due to his immature mentality and inattentiveness, I will postpone the IQ test so as to get a more accurate score.  

(2) As my child was diagnosed as developmental delay, not autistic by govt. centre, the assessor just 'guesses' that he may have cognitive delay.  She mentions that it is common for delay child.  'Delay' is as bad as 'autism'!!!   

36#
發表於 05-9-29 13:27 |顯示全部帖子

Dear Dr T,
[size=medium]謝謝你!!!無言感激.

37#
發表於 05-11-22 20:50 |顯示全部帖子

暴龍媽咪 ,
Me too.  Thanks.