教育王國 討論區 備戰大學 Sharing of IB vs NSS
發新帖
樓主: ANChan59
go

Sharing of IB vs NSS   [複製鏈接]

1#
發表於 12-5-21 12:07 |顯示全部帖子
回復 火柴 的帖子

If you have read the annual statistic bulletin, you will find that it is not difficult to obtain a score 5 to 7 in each subject.

Roughly, more than 50% of the candidates obtained  score 5 to 7 no matter it is a higher level subject or a standard level subject. If we talk about score to 6 to 7, it is  sitll between 20% plus or minus.

That is why most of the elite colleges in US would only give college credit to a score of 6 or 7 only.

2#
發表於 12-5-26 10:58 |顯示全部帖子
回復 ANChan59 的帖子

As you are aware, unofficially there are 2 groups of AP subjects someone calls them as Group A and Group B subjects. Briefly speaking, Group A subjects consist of Phy, Chem, Bio, Calculus, all history subjects and all foreign languages. The other AP subjects are grouped as Group B subjects.

Depending on the policy of each colleges, not all AP subjects are recognised for credit purpose.Most of the colleges of ranking 1 to 25 would give credit to Score 4 or 5 of Group A subjects only. If you get a 4, then probably, you would have half credit only.

You can go to AP Central to check the data on the grades (http://professionals.collegeboard.com/data-reports-research ).
You can also find out the boundary for each Grade by checking the subjects information..For the time being, they post the boundaries for 2 years, the most recent one is 2008 or 2009 (depending on individual subjects). If you cannot find out the same, please let me know so that I can post the link for the subject you are interested here.

The percentage of a score 5 ranges between 10% to 20% in most sujbec, with the history being of the less percentage. For Physics and Calculus, the percentage of score 5 is between 30 to 45%. The high percentage may be due to the fact that they are self-serving pools. Only the most able students would take those 2 subjects.

I have no information about the grade boundary of IB subjects. But the percentage of score 6 to 7 for each subject is above 20 to 25%, I think an IB 6 or 7 is equivalent to AP 5. However, some of the Ivies would give credit to IB Grade 7 only.

3#
發表於 12-5-26 12:22 |顯示全部帖子
回復 ANChan59 的帖子

Thank you for your sharing of the IB situation. No matter what system one's son or daughter takes, it is extremely diffcult to get into an elite US colleges (ranking 1 to 20) if he is not an US citizen or holding a green card.

I agree with you the strategy that your son focuses on local universities and then UK colleges. Unless he is interested in joining an i-bank, the employment opportunity is more or less the same whether he graduates from a local university or a UK university (so long as he obtains a good honour degree - meaning mid 2:1 or above).

My son chose to study in UK for a law degree and now is doing his PCLL at one of the local institution. He would join a medium size firm as a trainee this summer. He did not choose to study in US. I think he was right because many of his good friends choosing to study in the US applied for the JD this year.

Although my daughter has been admitted to a top US college (not top top top), she still hopes to study in HK or UK if her examination result is good enought to meet the offer. Her top choice is still studying in HK.
‹ 上一主題|下一主題