密      碼:
搜索
教育王國 討論區 備戰大學 Sharing of IB vs NSS
樓主: ANChan59
go

Sharing of IB vs NSS   [複製鏈接]

501#
發表於 11-10-31 23:59 |只看該作者
This is the link to the HKU LLB admission talk any parent interested can take a look.

http://www.law.hku.hk/admission/?page_id=174

502#
發表於 11-11-1 12:09 |只看該作者
Oxford requirement to do law
IB: 39 including core points (with at least 7,6,6 at HL) compared to HKU IB : at least 38 excluding bonus points.

503#
發表於 11-11-1 12:46 |只看該作者

回覆 502# kym 的文章

Oxford requirement to do law
IB: 39 including core (bonus???) points (with at least 7,6,6 at HL) compared to HKU IB : at least 38 excluding bonus points.

May be a typo.

In HK, the IB requirements even higher than Oxford & Cambridge.

[ 本帖最後由 ANChan59 於 11-11-1 12:52 編輯 ]
God grant me the serenity
to accept the things I cannot change;
courage to change the things I can;
and wisdom to know the difference.

504#
發表於 11-11-1 18:34 |只看該作者
Someone told me HKU med looking for 45/45 (not verified) . So if someone aim for the hot programs in Local Uni, IB may not be the best choice.

Copied from cambridge web site.
Conditional offers for Oxford range between A*A*A and AAA (depending on the subject) at A Level or 38-40 in the IB, including core points.

Most conditional offers for Cambridge are A*AA at A Level or 40-42 in the IB including core points.

505#
發表於 11-11-1 20:19 |只看該作者

回覆 504# kym 的文章

提示: 作者被禁止或刪除 內容自動屏蔽

506#
發表於 11-11-1 22:34 |只看該作者
I think predicted marks by the school are over 45 included EE & Tok, the conditional offer from unis in UK are out of 45.

[ 本帖最後由 kym 於 11-11-2 09:58 編輯 ]

507#
發表於 11-11-1 23:32 |只看該作者
My son's teacher explained to me the predicted grade should be xx out of 42, as TOK and EE score may not know at that time.  I also asked the admission officer of HKUST B School in Sept, they also provided the same answer.

In CUHK, I further asked the prof of QFin, his answer is the conditional offer based on predicted grades 36/42. Sometimes in the acceptance grade of the said program, they may say 38~39/45, that's the final grades for the firm offer.

Now, I need to double check the grade is base on 42 or 45. For conditional offer is related to predicted grade xx/42; the acceptance grade is xx/45.

In other parents have different understanding, pls share with us.

508#
發表於 11-11-2 10:07 |只看該作者

回覆 507# ANChan59 的文章

509#
發表於 11-11-2 11:41 |只看該作者

回覆 504# kym 的文章

this is very true as one of my daughter's second years is aiming for HKU MBBS. She has PG 41 but still worrying for AG 45 as HKU MBBS only want students with 44-45 final score. Many students opt for medicine in HK for the government requires a test to be a doctor in Hong Kong. If you complete your studies in other countries, let's say UK, even in Oxbridge, you still have to take the test and it's relatively more difficult. I have a friend graduated in a university in UK who cannot get the license after 9 years of retaking...competition is keen in HK. Law may be a little bit easier.

510#
發表於 11-11-2 11:46 |只看該作者

回覆 509# ksenia 的文章

Ksenia

CUHK & HKU MBBS, PG 40+ for interview, AG 41+ plus bonus.

No need to worry, better prepare for interview and she prefers to have some volunteer services in hospital or medical field.

ANChan59

511#
發表於 11-11-2 11:56 |只看該作者
原帖由 Annie123 於 11-11-2 10:07 發表
I have spoken with admission people from the US and Canada.  Offers would be based on predicted score (which would be out of 42).
Some program would give conditional offers based on the predicted scor ...

Annie123,

So do you know what will be the required predicted score for, say, business faculty in top 20 universities in US and Canada (such as U of T)?  36 out of 42?

Thanks.

[ 本帖最後由 WYmom 於 11-11-2 12:04 編輯 ]

512#
發表於 11-11-2 18:31 |只看該作者

回覆 511# WYmom 的文章

513#
發表於 11-11-2 21:27 |只看該作者

回覆 510# ANChan59 的文章

Thanks for your information. I do know that she meets the application requirement, but whether HKU accept her is another case.

514#
發表於 11-11-4 17:06 |只看該作者
I can only give my personal opinion as follows which you need to review on a case by case basis before considering adoption:

Its true that, as you have said, IB qualifications’ 國際認受性高viz-a-viz 334 results which even the local universities are skeptical at this early stage. Nonetheless, most countries (including Hong Kong SAR) have a policy of protecting their educational system and, given that two students have equivalent academic results, the one holding a local qualification will be admitted to a local university place (funded by the government) rather than the one holding a foreign/international qualification.

Having said that, the difference between IB and 334 may not be very big from the theoretical perspective. IB DP has CAS, which is creativity, action and service, while 334 has 通識. There are opinions that 334 models IB in its design, though with local adaptation. However, if 334 tries to imitate IB’s inquiry-based learning, the local teachers cannot cope with it as they are not trained to teach in this way.
Even if they are properly trained, a lot of preparation work is required which the local teachers cannot afford as they are already overwhelmed by admin work.
The IB schools in Hong Kong are generally more resourceful and recruit teachers who are better trained in IB learning as contrast with those in the average local 334 schools. IBO also monitors the ‘performance’ of IB schools on a regular basis.

I always consider that getting into the university is only a starting point nowadays. The students need to excel themselves when they graduate before they can secure a promising job to develop their career. The IB education provides a very good foundation for the child in his/er development and prepare him/er to face the challenge ahead. IB emphasizes high level (transferable) skills which are more important than low level skills as the latter will be outdated in the course of time while the former is sustainable. Inquiry-based learning should provide better stimulus to the child’s brain for its development from early childhood upto and beyond adolescence.

Lastly, please don't misunderstand me that IB is suitable for all. Traditional education can sometimes be more suitable for some children, largely depending on their character. Parents need to assess for their children individually. IB DP is also very demanding and may not be suitable for marginal students. While IB DP definitely better prepares the student for university education, vocational oriented training will be more appropriate for those who do not target to enter the university.

原帖由 c1234
於 11-10-31 14:16 發表
[url=http://forum.edu-kingdom.com/redirect.php?goto=findpost&pid=34073137&ptid=2214323][/url]
Hi Slamai,
誠心的想請教你!為什麼IB 會好過334呢?是否只因為國際認受性高? Or 因為無需要讀通識?若將來只想讀本地大學,是否IB仍然好過334呢?
thank you! ...

515#
發表於 11-11-4 17:46 |只看該作者

回覆 514# slamai 的文章

slamai

Thanks for your detail reply, some of your points enlightened me.

Lastly, please don't misunderstand me that IB is suitable for all. Traditional education can sometimes be more suitable for some children, largely depending on their character. Parents need to assess for their children individually.
Unquote

Pls ellaborate more on "their characters"

ANChan59

[ 本帖最後由 ANChan59 於 11-11-4 17:55 編輯 ]

516#
發表於 11-11-6 13:56 |只看該作者
Dear ANChan59:  
Thank you for creating this forum and it is informative.   I as a CD rom have read every single message and I would like to raise a question today.
My son is now studying IBDP in a new IB accredited school.  Since both the school and I are blank, to avoid asymmetric information, I start sending him to attend the tutorial lessons this year so as to access his ability and obtain some second opinion from outsiders.  One of his teachers raises the following concern:
1.        My son’s school is newly accredited which has no previous IB history, my son’s predicted score will be discounted in generally by most of the admission offices.
2.        His teacher is an IB 榜眼,before her IB, she got an excellent HKCEE result.  Even though her school (LPC) was also new in her year, she had her HKCEE as a sound reference.   My son does have nothing on hand.
Since my son aims studying in UK, she highly recommends my son to take IELTS and also the GCE – AL in the coming year.  Knowing that your son’s school is also newly accredited; may I know whether the school has the same conclusions?

517#
發表於 11-11-6 14:20 |只看該作者
Dear ANChan59,

Thanks for your contribution to this forum.  I would like to know the tutorial centre you mentioned earlier.  How about spoken Engish?  any suggestion?  Would you please PM me.  Thanks

518#
發表於 11-11-6 20:33 |只看該作者

回覆 516# 武航 的文章

武航

Thanks for your remarks and I try to share my personal experience for your reference.

For easy reference, I answer your questions as follow:

One of his teachers raises the following concern:

1. My son’s school is newly accredited which has no previous IB history, my son’s predicted score will be discounted in generally by most of the admission offices.
[Newly accrredited IB school may not be an issue, but new DSS/private schools plus new IB school is the main concern, just like LPC first established in 1994. Personally, I prefer an established DSS school provide IB stream or ESF or IS school....... not a school with none or limited HKCEE/HKAL and IBDP reference. In your case, you need to automatically discount your son's predicted grade in application of UCAS for UK universities.]

2. His teacher is an IB 榜眼,before her IB, she got an excellent HKCEE result.  Even though her school (LPC) was also new in her year, she had her HKCEE as a sound reference.   My son does have nothing on hand.
Since my son aims studying in UK, she highly recommends my son to take IELTS and also the GCE – AL in the coming year.  
[IELTS mainly for English standard of International students, but most uiversities in UK also highly accept IB students pass in English syllabus A, HL/SL; or Syllabus B at HL and score 7. My son checked with Oxford & LSE, both accepted the above IBDP English results. Your son better check with different university to confirm the English proficiency requirement. For GCE-AL, a good friend of mine, his son is my son's senior. He took GCE-AL at yr 1, he spent too much time to handle both and may affect his IBDP predicted grade. His conclusion for us is sticked to IBDP, forget GCE-AL and or use expectation management to handle the issue.]

3. Knowing that your son’s school is also newly accredited; may I know whether the school has the same conclusions?
[My son's school is a DSS elite school with over hundred years history, most Ivy league, oxybridge and top notch universities fully appreciate the standard of his school internationally. Even it's new IB accredited school, the Oxybridge admission officers highly recommended us to take IB instead of HKDSE in the admission talk.]

Parents, pls don't treat me wrong, my answers just echoed his teacher's remarks and no intention to critise new IB accredited schools' standard or reputation in UK universities admission process. If other parents have other views, pls share with us......

ANChan59

[ 本帖最後由 ANChan59 於 11-11-6 20:41 編輯 ]

519#
發表於 11-11-7 14:03 |只看該作者
Thanks ANChan!

His school goes for Eng as Syllabus B therefore I will get prepare the ILETS.

For your advice, would you please elaborate more on your "expectation management" ?

Thanks in advance!

520#
發表於 11-11-7 14:20 |只看該作者

回覆 519# 武航 的文章

武航

"Would you please elaborate more on your "expectation management" ?"

My son will have a wider range of choices of program to fit in different PG or actual grades, which he prefers and interested in. If just aim high, when the result is not as expected, he may be forced to take a not interested program or study aboard.

Eg of different PG.
40+   MBBS, GBus, BBA-Law
38+   Econ, Political Science, Law
36+   QFin, BBA
<36   Engg

He will apply diff programs and use lower PG as backup and he still ok with the program(s).

I know so many friends' kids, just insist single subject (of course hot program) or single university and no backup....... kids are finally forced to get any available degree program from lower rank universities in diff countries.

ANChan59

[ 本帖最後由 ANChan59 於 11-11-7 14:23 編輯 ]
‹ 上一主題|下一主題