用戶登入
用戶名稱:
密      碼:
搜索
教育王國 討論區 備戰大學 Strategy get into hot professional programs in the U ...
發新帖
樓主: ANChan59
go

Strategy get into hot professional programs in the University [複製鏈接]

1#
發表於 12-5-15 10:50 |顯示全部帖子
If you want to apply for UK college in September 2012 for courses starting September 2013, you should take the LNAT before you send your UCAS application. Usually, the candidates will take the examination in late August because they can make use of the summer to prepare the examination. There are a number of reference books for the LNAT examination. I do not know whether I can buy in Hong Kong. However, if you search Amazon (UK), you can find a number of them. It is better to buy 2 to 3 books. The examination is held at a commercial building in Central. At the time of booking the examination, you have  a number of time slots to choose. Each slot is about one hou. The examination is done on computer and you will have your score immediately after the LNAT examinations, For tier-1 univiersities, score 18 (out of 30) is competitive..

If you want to apply to Cambridge, you need to take their own entrance examination if you are invited for an interview.

2#
發表於 12-5-15 17:58 |顯示全部帖子
My son took the LNAT in late August 2007. He scored 18 out of 30. Eventually, he got offer from 4 UK law schools (except Cambridge). He studied LLB in 2008 in London. Now he is doing PCLL at CU.

3#
發表於 12-5-16 13:27 |顯示全部帖子
回復 wloi 的帖子

It is glad to learn your daughter's achievement and would like to share with you about your daugher's choice.

As you know, whether your daughter studies LLB or BBA (law) in HKU, there will be 2 cohores of students, one cohore of the 334 students and the other is the last A-level students. Since 2008, the LLB curriculum has been extended to 4 years. Disregarding which cohore a student belongs, both the DSE and A-level students would take 4 years to complete LLB or 5 years to complete BBA (Law). In other words, the number of graduates in a same year would be doubled. The competition for a PCLL space would be very fierce if the number of spaces is not expanded two times. Even if the PCLL spaces are doubled, the number of graduates will also be doubled,

I think it is most likely that the PCLL spaces will be doubled to cater the needs of the graduates. The legal employment market may not employ twice PCLL graduates. You can foresee that the competition for training is extremely severe.

It takes 3 years to complete a LLB degree in UK. If your daughter could complete the conversion examinations in the mean time, she can go the PCLL direct and could avoid the bottle neck in the PCLL spaces or the job market. The passing rate of conversion is quite high (on average 70% passing rate).

If money is not a hinderance factor for your daughter to study in UK, you may consider the above with your daughter.

4#
發表於 12-5-17 16:18 |顯示全部帖子
回復 HarryPotter 的帖子

It is difficult for a secondary student to find relevant summer placement and it may not be necessary for him to do so. In my son 's case, he did  not attend any summer internship. However, during summer he did attend a magistrate court and the high court for about 2 weeks to hear cases as a mere spectator. I think it works because he was successful in securing 4 offers from 4 UK law schools. He was even in the Camridge winter pool and was lastly rejected by the end of January 2008.

The court experience did show to the admission tutor that he had a keen interest in studying law. In his personal statement, he wrote a reflection on such attendance and what he had learnt and benefitted from such attendances and what he would do in his future study.

5#
發表於 12-6-20 11:45 |顯示全部帖子
(1) To play safe, it is a correct attitude to target all the US, UK and local colleges. You have a choice if you are successful in more than one offer.

(2) the reputation of an undergraduate college is more important than the same college in which you take a postgraduate program.

(3) In general it is true that if everything being equal an applicant who is the first generation to apply for college would have some favor. Since US admission officer use a holistic approach to assess the applicants, it is difficult to tell that they would discount the effect of an expensive overseas summer program. I would think that they are interested in what you learnt and you took from that program rather than such program is expensive or not.

6#
發表於 12-6-24 23:18 |顯示全部帖子
回復 HarryPotter 的帖子

Harry Porter
If your son's PG is 41 or more, I suggest you make Oxbridge as one of your choice. As to the others, I suggest as follows:-

(1) choose two out of UCL, LSE, Durham and KCL

(2) choose two others from QMU, Nottingham, Warwick, Bristol, or other universities you think fit.

If his PG is 38 or more but less than 41, I suggest you to choose 3 out of (1) above and 2 out of (2) above.

7#
發表於 12-6-25 11:49 |顯示全部帖子
回復 ANChan59 的帖子

ANChan59
I think Cambridge's Economics if not better than LSE is as good as it. UCL may be a good choice for Economics. I have no idea about Finance.

Yes, you are perfectly right that PPE of Oxford is very competitive.

8#
發表於 12-6-26 00:19 |顯示全部帖子
回復 HarryPotter 的帖子

I mean 41 out of 45. You can check the usual offers from the websites of the universities concerned.

9#
發表於 12-6-26 00:22 |顯示全部帖子
回復 HarryPotter 的帖子

If your kid will study IB in grade 12, normally, he will receive his PG by the end of Grade 12 but some school may issue the PG in Grade 13 after the first test or so.

The deadline for Oxbridge application is 15 October and the deadline for other colleges is later. In any case, you will have the PG for reference before you submit your UCAS applications. As I said, you can check the terms of the offers from the universities concerned from their websites.

10#
發表於 12-7-4 11:26 |顯示全部帖子
回復 HarryPotter 的帖子

I would suggest that History is included in the curriculum. 4 years ago, my son together with 4 other classmates applied to the same college (law). Although my son's result was the weakest amongst them, the college only gave a conditional offer to my son. The difference between them was the fact that only my son took History and the other four did not.

This year, my daughter together with 4 other classmates applied to MBBS to CU and HKU. They were top students in the class. However, only 2 of them (including my daughter) obtained offers from CU and HKU. I also notice that the two successful guys took History in the public examination.

Based on these 2 incidents, I feel the the hot programme of CU and HKU would like the candidates to challenge themselves by taking History, no matter they are from science or arts stream. History can prove to the admission offers that you have the ability to read substantively, think critically, articulate the arguments coherently and good language skills. Such skills are useful no matter you study BBA Law or MBBS.

11#
發表於 12-7-4 14:42 |顯示全部帖子
回復 ANChan59 的帖子

It is true.

12#
發表於 13-8-24 10:34 |顯示全部帖子
Many of my friends' sons or daughters who graduate with a good LLB (i.e. high 2:1) manage to work in the international firm with starting salary comparable to investment bank (i.e. annual salary of HK$1.0 Million or even more).
‹ 上一主題|下一主題