用戶登入
用戶名稱:
密      碼:
搜索
教育王國 討論區 備戰大學 Strategy get into hot professional programs in the U ...
樓主: ANChan59
go

Strategy get into hot professional programs in the University [複製鏈接]

21#
發表於 10-12-1 17:48 |顯示全部帖子
原帖由 wunma 於 10-12-1 16:48 發表

已更正. Please see the following explainations:
Cat 1 -In line with general population of JUPAS applicants for the particular programme you have selected
we will simply look at your academic results  ...

wunma

So Cat 1 has greater chance for admission. Am I correct?

How about non-JUPAS? The same classification?

ANChan59

22#
發表於 10-12-2 11:38 |顯示全部帖子
原帖由 wunma 於 10-12-2 09:55 發表

ANChan59,
嘗試說清楚點, 如發覺有錯請知情人士更正.
以HKU, CU同HKUST為例, 各自有一套計分法, 得出一個scores來為所有報讀生排名, 如面試表現好, 會有額外分加在total scores上.
UST中學會考分同高考分是4比6; CU ...

wunma

Thanks for your explanation, so Cat 3 is better chance than Cat 1 & 2 if exam results being equal.

For the weighed average scores of HKCEE & HKAL are noted. I did attend both CUHK and HKU's admission talks this year, the weighting of different school may have different, like Medicine CUHK, 3:7 and not necessary 5:5. We may need to double confirm with the admission office of individual university.

As our kids may sit for HKDSE in coming years, so may be no more weighed scores, just single examination like HKDSE, IBDP, GCE-AL etc.

23#
發表於 10-12-27 18:25 |顯示全部帖子

Strategy 5 Self-discovery - major & career

We had a large group Christmas party on 25th and many kids of our friends from overseas, UK, USA and Australia had some useful conversations related to program, major and career selection.

A couple of them mentioned that they did some self exploratory analysis in their high school or in junior years of college.

I guess some schools have similar arrangement to help students understand their interests & skills and facilitate them to pick a better program and career. If not pls refer to the following websites may help:

1. Questionnaire to identify your Holland Codes

http://cscc.edu/docs/PACS/assessment.htm#Featured

2. Explanation of Holland Codes and the highest 3 codes match with different majors and careers, two colleges examples listed as reference

http://www.pnc.edu/discover/holland.html

http://career.missouri.edu/resou ... %20Code%20S2010.pdf

http://www.vcu.edu/uc/documents/Discovery_Worksheet_4_page.pdf

I know more than one assessment around for similar application, Holland Code just one of them. If your kid doesn't have any clue about the program and the career, this may be a good starting point.

24#
發表於 10-12-27 21:18 |顯示全部帖子
原帖由 mattsmum 於 10-12-27 20:25 發表
Thank you, is holand game for at least 17 years old?

I am not sure about the assessment only valid for certain age, the same assessment also in my son's school website under career inclination assessment.

In this website, they have different versions for different educational levels.

http://www.hollandcoderesources.com/

25#
發表於 11-1-19 23:23 |顯示全部帖子

Strategy 6 - Scholarship

Two years ago, I was a panel member of a scholarship selection panel for a local professional institution. We interviewed 8 of top students, 2-3 were eligible for EAS and only 3 come from famous elite schools (全港名校 - 皇仁、英皇.....), and others are from local elite schools(地區名校 - 林護、鄧顯...).

All of them have two common characteristics:
1. Scholarships from different organizations; and
2. Best student awards from different district.

As a panel member, I felt that they came across other scholarship selection process before; they are clam, presentable and have the passion for the future program and career. It's easy for us to nominate them to get the scholarship of that year.

I strongly recommend our kids apply different scholarships, not just you can get it and make your CV more impressive, also give them a great opportunity to go through the selection process before the university admission process.

Lucky enough, they get some scholarships and really show their capability, character and passion of related discipline of professional. I can guarantee they have better chance to be accepted by that hot program. Even some of the panel members may be come from the university..........

[ 本帖最後由 ANChan59 於 11-1-22 21:47 編輯 ]
God grant me the serenity
to accept the things I cannot change;
courage to change the things I can;
and wisdom to know the difference.

26#
發表於 11-5-27 09:00 |顯示全部帖子

Other Strategies

I would like other parents to chip in their two cents in the following areas:

7. Interview, tough interview questions .....
8. Reference letter - Academic, character......
9. Extra-ordinary achievements.....
10. Others....

Thanks

ANChan59

27#
發表於 11-6-12 12:51 |顯示全部帖子
原帖由 mattsmum 於 11-6-10 21:04 發表
Joint university' "summer school for career discovery".  Go to their open days.

Can you ellaborate more on point 1, like which university.... or any link...

I know HKU, HKPU, HKUST may have programs for certain professionals.... more professional specific and not career discovery.

28#
發表於 11-6-12 20:50 |顯示全部帖子
原帖由 mattsmum 於 11-6-12 20:29 發表
Search "career discovery+hku", about 10500 per course.

I got you.

I searched through Google, only architecture and communication. Am I correct?

29#
發表於 11-6-13 00:43 |顯示全部帖子
mattsum

Thanks so much. Most programs offered by CUHK and HKU not his cup of tea.

Definitely, will be useful for students interested in the programs you mentioned.

My son got some ideas of his future career. From last Christmas onward, we arranged series of shadowing and internship in medical field for him.

ANChan59

30#
發表於 11-6-27 23:27 |顯示全部帖子
原帖由 ksenia 於 11-6-27 23:00 發表
may i know what you will arrange for your son this summer?

SAT camp and 3 weeks attachment, I won't say where he goes, his request.

31#
發表於 11-6-28 09:22 |顯示全部帖子
原帖由 ksenia 於 11-6-28 07:31 發表

may i know where to find internships for secondary students? my daughter is going to be F5 now but she can only find internships that recruit undergrads.

My suggestions:

1. Through your gangxi is the key, most go for university students
2. Go for shadowing, she may not have hand-on training experience, just understand the job, observe and paperwork only.
3. Insurance is a big concern - age, can't work in Lab or operate machine.
4. Prepare a CV, all request an impressive CV.
5. Just job exposure, go for fast food chain, clothes chain....... not necessary high profile companies.

32#
發表於 11-6-28 19:55 |顯示全部帖子
原帖由 ksenia 於 11-6-28 19:23 發表
Thanks for your advice. She just got a job as a sales and will find some more jobs on teaching young children(like teaching piano and Putonghua). However, her future career is either in the medical or ...

Medical is not easy, you can go to Queen Mary Hospital website and check the attachment program. You can download a form to apply, they said you need to apply 6 weeks before the attachment start. I know every year have hundreds applicants and around 50 vacancies, included clinical, lab, research, science, administration and finance, operation posts.......

Business is much easier....

33#
發表於 11-6-28 20:20 |顯示全部帖子
原帖由 ksenia 於 11-6-28 20:11 發表
oops just found out that the attachment program is for F6 or above

Come on, break the rule.

Self-nomination and explain to the Senior Adm Manager that now it's 334, F5, F6 equivalent to F6~F7.........

ksenia, NO is not the answer ...... keep it going, not just you, also for your daughter......

34#
發表於 11-6-28 20:30 |顯示全部帖子
原帖由 ksenia 於 11-6-28 20:28 發表
Will call them tomorrow. Thank you very much!

I recommend your daughter to call them and not you, you can brief her, rehearsal with her..... must be her...... Ask her to prefer a CV and covering letter.

I know most professors prefer students take initiative to knock the door, make the proposal, send CV........ not you...

Good luck....

[ 本帖最後由 ANChan59 於 11-6-28 20:34 編輯 ]

35#
發表於 11-6-30 00:00 |顯示全部帖子
原帖由 ksenia 於 11-6-29 19:08 發表
Yes. She called it. They said it's full

Sorry to know that, try next year, she still have time if she is going to take F5 after summer. Ask QM again, when is the best time to apply......

36#
發表於 11-6-30 00:09 |顯示全部帖子
原帖由 ksenia 於 11-6-30 00:06 發表
She will be going to LPC in September. I guess she may not have time for that. Sigh...

Great to know your daughter took the offer.

She can do that in next summer in 2012...... for medicine attachment....

[ 本帖最後由 ANChan59 於 11-6-30 00:10 編輯 ]

37#
發表於 11-6-30 00:51 |顯示全部帖子

回覆 73# ksenia 的文章

Why she picked IBDP instead of NSS?

If she uses examination oriented approach for IBDP (drill past paper.....) why IBDP?

Before too late, browse the IBO, DBS, and SPCC - IB program websites, understand more IB. In other post I mentioned that in DBS, the teachers recommended some students to stick to NSS and don't take IBDP.....

If she likes to challenge authroities and status quo, it's good but not overkill. This character may be fitted for IBDP...

38#
發表於 11-7-5 21:25 |顯示全部帖子

PRC Attachment

Last two weeks I hosted two high school students from an Elite girl school and a boy from IS for the attachment in China & HK. Their academic background are flying colors and eligible for scholarship(s) in US.

They don't mind to live with workers in the dorm, basic living standard and they learn alot during the attachment.

They presented to me on Saturday what they learnt from the attachment:

1. The future decline of the World Factory in China when the costkeep on rising;
2. The industry transformation in China from low tech to high tech and more value-added....;
3. They are very lucky in HK, teenagers with similar age are working in the factory and the job pretty repetitive......
4. They teach staff to play piano, keyboard.....

After two weeks, they confirmed their future university majors and career path......... As a mentor, I am happy to know their inspirations........

39#
發表於 11-7-8 23:37 |顯示全部帖子
原帖由 HarryPotter 於 11-7-7 21:14 發表
HI,

My daughter wants to study law in HKU. Can anyone please give me some tips how she can get in and prepare?

HarryPotter

As my son won't target Law program, I didn't do much research on this. I hope other parents may offer some tips for your daughter.

My son shared with me his classmates who may pick Law either in HK or overseas, their English standards are very top, if in IBDP, they will pick syllabus A, Literature stream, HL and they are comfortable to score 7. In HKDSE, also A** is their target grade.....

I arranged a few causal meetings for my son with a High Court judge, a solicitor and a barrister from Legal Dept  3-4 years ago. The conclusion is Law is not his cup of tea.......

Some of my friends will arrange attachment in law firms, either local or international firms, all depends on connection.

In my son's school, they have a mentorship program coorganised by the Further Study Office and the alumni. The juniors will match with seniors according to their future study or their career inspiration, I know some mentors assist them for attachment or shadowing at least.

ANChan59

40#
發表於 11-7-28 09:20 |顯示全部帖子

回復 79# HarryPotter 的帖子

HarryPotter

I don't have a stright forward answer, just share some ideas may work for your case.

I know some District Councillors provide legal advices for gneral public, they may open to take on some volunteer(s)........

Law schools may take students can master both languages..... Some NGO provide service to Southern Asian in HK, volunteers as interpreters may help....

Just examples....

ANChan59

[ 本帖最後由 ANChan59 於 11-7-28 09:22 編輯 ]
‹ 上一主題|下一主題